I used to hate biscuits and I used to hate sausage gravy–now I love both, and especially when put together! Am I happy about my expanded pallet (and yes, I consider B&G an expanded pallet for me :))? Anyway, am I happy about it? Yes and no–no, because my jeans won’t zip after multiple B&G breakfasts over break, but yes, because they are so good. And let’s be honest, you’re not reading this recipe post to hear about how fit and healthy I am.
This recipe is perfect–I don’t claim that too often, but honestly this basic recipe is all you need from now on when making B&G.
Biscuits & Gravy
Serving Size: 6-8 people
1 lb sausage (I’ve used both mild and hot pork sausage and both work well)
1/3 cup flour
3 cups half and half
1 tsp salt (I use flaky sea salt – Maldon Sea Salt Flakes)
1 1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp – 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (depending on how spicy you like it)
I followed Joanna Gaine’s biscuit recipe exactly but halved the recipe – SO good…like so good
- In a large skillet, with wooden spoon, break sausage into large crumbles and brown until no longer pink
- Once sausage is cooked, add flour to skillet and coat sausage until no flour is visible anymore
- Add in half and half and mix well
- Add in spices and continue mixing over medium heat until mixture reaches desired thickness (mine normally takes between 5-10 minutes to thicken up!)
- Serve immediately over biscuits or reduce heat to very low and stir occasionally until serving