(my favorite spot to read in the house right now–and apparently B’s fave, too)
My reading started off with a bang in January and February (well, sort of) and then totally tapered off after that. I blame the bachelorette, housewives, and southern charm for stealing my brain cells and time (#worthit though). Thankfully, I had a few trips here and there and was actually able to finish a few books. I have been, however, super into podcasts recently. Just ask my sister and BFF’s, they’re all I talk about (so annoying, i’m sure!). I dread driving in traffic but listening to podcasts makes me actually look forward to driving!
March – July Reads:
- Little Fires Everywhere – This one was on Reese Witherspoon’s book club list and a few people had recommended. This was a very interesting book and the plot takes a few twists and turns. The characters are controversial (I was even mad at times while reading it!!) and it kept me on the edge of my seat! It was definitely different than my typical chick lit reads, which I liked.
- What Alice Forgot – Everyone always raves about Liane Moriarty books (Big Little Lies) but I find her books to be very slow. I always feel like there are far too many characters that I can’t seem to keep track of. With that being said, I loved the premise of this book–woman (Alice) has accident and wakes up and it’s 10 years later. I actually had a dream that this happened to me recently (SCARY!). Ultimately, I enjoyed reading this book and loved the story line. But again, I felt a few parts were a little drawn out.
- The Wedding Date – I read this while in Mexico so I don’t know if it was the tequila and sun, but this was the best book I’ve read in awhile. Such a light, upbeat, and refreshing read–two characters have a meet cute in a stuck elevator and decide to go to a wedding together. The rest of the book follows their relationship–so cute! I finished it in two days reading by the beach. And let me add that all of my friends were drinking and I was so into the book that they started chanting “finish that book! finish that book!” ha! I can’t wait for her next book, The Proposal!
- All We Ever Wanted – Emily Giffin is my girl. I have gone to countless of her book signings, follow her religiously on social media, and have read all of her books. She is such a talented writer and the details in her book make you feel like you are living out exactly what the character is doing. However, I unfortunately just did not connect with the characters in this book like I have with her others (favorites include: Something Borrowed & Something Blue, obviously, and my favorite of hers Love the One You’re With). The book was still very well written with all of her intricate details and the story line was good…until it just fizzled. With that being said, I would still recommend reading it because it was a very easy read and the story line was good for 80% of the time, ha! I just had really high hopes for it. Now I have to wait another 2 years for her to write a new book, ugh!
Podcasts i’m listening to right now:
- The Goop – I find GP (Gwyneth Paltrow) to be on the annoying side (don’t hate me!) but luckily most of the podcasts I have listened to have been with editors at Goop vs. GP herself. A lot of great content about emotional and physical wellness which I seem to be really into right now (minus the Baskin Robbins I just ate :)).
- The Skinny Confidential – Lauryn Evarts voice is so addicting to me – I just want to keep listening to her! Every podcast is packed with SO much useful information. Just get ready to want to sell your home and car to afford all of the supplements, food, and skincare products that she talks about. ha!
- Watch What Happens Live – Do I even need to sell you guys on this one? Obviously I’d love to catch WWHL on TV but Nick makes me delete them after they get to like 100 episodes on the DVR (yikes). So it’s much easier for me to catch up via podcast vs. on TV. I also love hearing Andy’s commentary before the episode. You also get the after show which I never used to watch – so much goodness!
- Armchair Expert – Okay, I have to admit that I’ve only listened to the episode where Dax Shepard (the host) interviews his wife, Kristen Bell. Even if the rest of the episodes are crap, I’m okay with that because their interview was hysterical. They bicker back and forth the entire time, are both hilarious. and their episode just furthers my love for both of them. Don’t be intimated by the 1 hour and 45 minute epsiode–every minute is good!